Monday, March 05, 2007

Wow, am I being Bong or am I being Bong. I'm being helluva a lot more Bong-er than I am in Cal. I ate macher jhol bhat today and slept after that in the afternoon. Fish. I ate FISH. As in proper fish fish, not a pansy old baked/grilled bhetki. A fish with all em bones and JHOL. And...here's the deal... I liked it. Shh. Don't tell Ma though.
I've been doing a lot of new things since I got here. Take for instance in Pune, I was staying somewhere where there weren't any Western Loos. And I'll be plain. I hate the Indian ones. Hate, gut wrenchingly hate. But I also know that beggars can't be choosers. Especially at 8 in the morning, when you have just GOT to go, before an interview that too. So I went...*sigh*. But that's a part of the travelling on your own bit, right? I just like to sit, like proper sit-sit, and read a comic or a paper or two - with some kind of fan on, so there isn't too much, ahem, noise, and go about my business. Can't a woman have her dignity?! *sigh*
Anyway. I'm more tolerant of Indian loos now. Now that I've survived the entire ordeal.
So, now that you know, what a spoilt little child I am (fish+loo+I wanted the goddamn two night train journey to get over soon so that I could bathe in some hot water and shampoo my hair) - let me tell you, I usually get around to doing these things anyway. Sometimes grudgingly, sometimes quietly, sometimes with a certain amount of enthusiam (as with the fish). What can I say? I like my luxuries. But it's not beneath me to live in a way different from my own. In fact, it isn't even too difficult. What would you call that? Snobbery or conditioning? I dunno.
When we were kids, we lived in a small apartment, and there was a loo with an Indian thing, where I fell in once, so that could explain my hatred for it. I hate fish, because I was forced to eat it as a kid, and I don't like being forced to do anything. I like having a bath, because, well, I look a mess. And my hair looks limp and sparse and people laugh at it. And that kinda sorta bugs me.
Tell you what. I still like travel. Because I learn from it. I learn to adapt, learn to get over my quirks. Very soon, I'll stop minding people altogether. And then I can give up bathing. :)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Random Doodler said...

yo girlie!! :-D

11:16 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

awww :]

12:57 AM  
Blogger Delphic Oracle said...

well i dont like indian loos either, but SOUTHERN western loos has its perils...it took me a while to get used to the tissue paper thing...instead of sources of water!!! but then, i love travelling to...u just cant help it...and oh yes...FISH fish, i hate it all the time cos of the same reason as urs...but i kinda like fish here more than the chicken....but unlike urs, they comprise the continental menu...not the usual MAACHER JHOL...

5:58 PM  
Blogger sozzled n pickled tis the soul said...

loll....u had maacher jhol!!u wait till i tell mamuni!!
how long u there in bobba's?

7:35 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Annie - Toilet paper! Jeepers! That's the worssssssssst! Yikes!

Guds - Noooooo. Shush! I'm here till the 8th dupur. It's been great so far :)

1:04 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

I like Indian loos more then the seat things. As public toilets i think they are much easier to maintain.

I think i'm the only one I know who says these things. Besides I believe Indian loos have a hidden reflexology system.
And no, I'm not saying this because I have an indian loo at home. I wouldn't mind having one in fact.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Oh I know, most people prefer it! It is more hygeinic for sure. But still - :S

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home