Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Summer

*sigh*...winter's gone already. But summer's had a couple of wonderful memories too. It is my least favourite season, oh yes, but... May. I like May oddly. And I like mangoes. And Kalboishakhis. When we were kids, there used to be a lot of loadshedding. I was told, it was all Jyoti Babu's doing. So everytime there was a loadshedding, I used to imagine doing perverse things to Jyoti Babu - like sticking him with pins and throwing him off a cliff. I'd run about in my underwear, semi-neurotically, from one room to another, shouting "kokhon light ashbeeee? kokhon light ashbeee?" And the lights would not come back till late into the night, like 3 or something, by which, we would have fallen asleep, in Dada's room, because we got the southern breeze there the best - and of course, Ma hath-pakha'd diligently. Ma always had very strong hands - the way she haath pakha'ed, beat eggs, coffee, cake batter. And there would be stories. Because I was afraid of the dark. Baba's stories. About some young man on a train going to Bardhaman or something from Kolkata, and his adventures - which never ended - because either we'd fall asleep or Baba. But the stories were all very excellent. You'd have to hear them, to believe how good they were. "Buddhi khola golpo" he called it.
Another summer thing was cycling. Although, that happened all year 'round. But summer, was the best time, because we didn't have badminton, sports day or the rains to distract us. We raced all over the para, doing crazy stunts, sweating like maniacs, staying out till 7 - and sometimes if we were plucky, 8. And there were those long, long walks - and calling out to the stars. No, no - I'm not being word-pretty - I really shouted at stars - at the top of my lungs. I embarrassed my friends a great deal sometimes.
Then there was chaan. Cold water showers with some lemony soap. Especially after coming back home from all that playing. Sometimes I'd bathe 3-4 times in one day - conducting some T.V. show or something under the shower. And singing. There was this great bathroom hit - "Sajani" something, which I made up. It was brilliant. Very classical, and Raaahul-pani-khatam-ho-jayega types (remember the Le Sancy ad?).
School was the worst during summer. Especially when our water got over. We'd sweat like pigs and wipe it on our shirt sleeves - which would inevitably turn black. Then suddenly, while sitting in a stuffy classroom, waiting for the bell to ring, we'd smell a storm and stare out of the windows. And everything would become more tolerable.
So, even today, when there's AC, and all the comforts imaginable, I grumble about summer, I stop and think about the N9 days - and the happiness that the cruel season could bring.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Vatsala said...

Le Sancy .. do they still manufacture that soap? *wondering* and Lemony Liril ? oh well


nice sweaty post

3:29 AM  
Blogger Chamki said...

Le Sancy I know that was one soap I got because of the ad and its shape. C'mon we all bought things because they looked good. See! We still get married.
As for summer, I like winter because it cold and I like summer because its H-O-T. I love the raw sort of intoxicating heat of summer. I love that the days are longer. There is Chaas, lassi and more milkshake, nimbu pani, less clothing! How can you forget less clothing.
C'mon its not that bad.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

V - I dunno - do they? They were shaped like a bed pan or something!

C - Less clothing - heh - yes, I suppose so :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger The Nutty Pea said...

hey! my dad used to tell me these classic bardhaman to kolkata stories too!! only, the way he said it, the man returning from his "aapish" in kolkata to his house in the village (over the weekend)found out that everybody had died of cholera, and there were ghosts lurking around everywhere trying to kill him. his dead wife saved him in the end, by leading him back to the station!
eet eez short of the tapan...!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Haha! Ki morbid! And what about their names? Baba had the Bongest of names - something like Chiranjan Bhattacharji or thereabouts! We wanted hipper names like the Raj-types - but he'd be like - "what kind of name is Raaahj?" (in the taashest of accents!)
Aar ei Tapan-ta na. Forever trying to establish a link with Gujun the Great. Or as Sudu would say... "perhaps they are related"!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Random Doodler said...

no but seriously...they are! my dad told these stories too. only his, i remember, where kharagpur-kolkata stories, and mostly spinoffs from a writer he thought was really cool-shibram chakraborti i think!
Boddis!

11:34 PM  
Blogger La Figlia Che Piange said...

Oh, I've heard the bhooter village story too.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Living On Video said...

You write SO well. *nostalgia* When I don't even remember half pf my childhood. :)

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home