Friday, May 04, 2007

Well, that's it then. Exams are officially over. And this is the time I've dreamed about ever since I was, what, 10? Although, back then, the mental picture was deceptively utopian: I had a vision of myself in the near future, as this slick type of character in black leather (don't ask, it was 1996) with the most fabulous body and fabulous everything else, well on her way to becoming Mrs. Rahul Dravid (again, it was 1996).
One thing's remained though. I was equally unambitious then, maybe even more so, lulled into security by comfortable test scores and easy living. All I ever wanted to be was an artist (as in, a painter), which was a notch above the previous ambition of becoming a washerwoman (I was fascinated by clothes being washed - something dreamily delicious about it). But then, hormones happened. Computers happened. I thought I'd be some kind of a computer engineer, because that's what smart people were doing all of a sudden. This was the pre-math disillusionment stage. Then of course, algebra and geometry happened, and all kinds of crazy ambitions were immediately shelved. In between, I went through a "I want to act phase". So there were a couple of banal workshops and dreary roles, my spirits not particularly helped by the fact that all the puppy fat of yore, suddenly seemed to have taken on wild dog proportions. Try and imagine a massive adoloscent girl wearing shiny yellow pants, a cherry red shirt, a pair of wings and a beak on top of her head. Yes, me. So I stumbled and stuttered through that excruciatingly long phase and ended up becoming one of those "nice quiet girls" who don't really exist, but somehow seem to have found a place for themselves in the classroom register. Of course, there were the usual indoor comforts - books, TV, food and little else . College just happened, and I'm kind of glad that it did, because it brought me back to my little girl dreams. Other than a brief, and equally ridiculous repetition of the actor phase (this time a notch lower than the aviary sect - I was a fly. A twenty year old fly, with wings and the works. Sheesh) - I felt pretty happy. I was reading, writing, travelling - and enjoying a strange, albeit limited, kind of freedom. Literature didn't teach me to become a writer, or a philosopher or a journalist or a teacher or whatever. On the contrary, I realised how little I actually know, about books, about life and most importantly, myself. It made me see myself, exactly as I was. Not a brilliant A-grade sort, and not the bleak little wallflower I had allowed myself to believe I was, either. I could be an artist, and not just the painter-actor sort. Heck, I don't even know for sure what sort. But somewhere there, I see a way. It's unaffected by your words, it's unaffected by test results, it's unaffected by the fantastic lives of other fabulous people. It isn't quite the leather-girl-potential-mrs-dravid picture. But it's somehow, more exciting. But shit, it would be good to have leather girl's body. Shame.
P.S.> There was a 'rock-chick' phase as well. The less said about it, the better.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Prachi said...

In between, I went through a "I want to act phase".

I remember u reading out a play u'd written, back in class 11 or 12, in Voice Club. T'was some british thing, i think, but i could hardly hear u cos u spoke so softly. But i do remember u clearly as the fly, and u were good, seriosult. Killer laugh. And the rubbing of hands. Kudos to your looniness!:)

9:53 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

you know, i really really like this post. perhaps i'll try to write something similar in my last year of college. i'll make that one of my ambitions now :)

10:52 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Prachi - yes, I didn't complete that play, I was too lazy. Something about a haunted house spoof. And the fly, yes. Heh. Never again. Never. I hate acting.

TBC - you'll have many more exciting things to write about, I'm sure.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

not necessarily. i always thought you have a very fun life. dylanfesting and all. acting in plays praised all over and then dismissing 'em jusslikethat... *swoons*

2:05 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Dude, I was a giant fly, with vague mafia connections. Sometimes, I get tired of laughing at the absurdity of it all. Leave the fly be.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Rapid I Movement said...

Oh, I'll be the fly swatter then.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Rapid I Movement said...

Sorry, arbit comment.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loony, why don't you print your own newspaper. Look we all want to read what you write first thing in the morning. Clearly rapid I movement and me do. Besides you've been everything exciting, an actor, a leather girl, a literature student who writes like its a breeze (don't ask me what that means, actually it means your thoughts flow into each other so well, no scope for pyschological disorders) and a FLY!
Also, thank you.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

RIM - Swat, go right ahead.

i.m.bot - We've got Xanadu times for that right? Can I not be a correspondent with that? I'd be honoured, really.
And thanks for what?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

like he said - the first thing we want to read when we wake up.daaaahlink post.

P.S.I've had all those phases too! each one of them!one more year to go.oh crap.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

err "she", meant, Chamko, that was you - "i.m.bot" ?

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to remember this post like I remember the final speech in Wonder Years.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Chamki said...

Look Xanadu Times is slowly dying.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Living On Video said...

"There was a 'rock-chick' phase as well. The less said about it, the better."

LOL.

Believe me, I'm still in that phase, and here I can't sing to save my soul. :|

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home