Sunday, January 14, 2007

I was just thinking, there were some genuinly funny moments in school. Crazy funny. We were such a united class.
There's this little moment etched out in my memory, that I call the exam memory, and funnily, it's a nice one. In class V, sitting next to Swetashree in the last row, the sun on my back and Mrs. Matthew asking me if I wanted the blinds down. I said no, I like the sun, and I stretched and chewed my pencil-end happily. It's a very warm, restful little picture in my head. I wish I had that kind of exam moment again. When I was relaxed and happy, and heck, it was maths, and I was still happy. It's been a decade or more, fuck, since that day.
Then I loved the way we exchanged stuff - stamps, magazine cut-outs of Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar, phone numbers of celebrities, books, test answers, dirty jokes, all kinds of nasty trivia about sex. And the class photographs. Shit, there's never been one where Swetashree didn't start giggling (which was pretty much guffawing), then Diya would start, then Preet, then Das Dutta, Mondol, Anjali and then me in the front - and by the time we knew it, eeeeveryone would be shaking, and Ms. Sicca would be hopping mad, and our poor class teacher (also shaking with laughter) would be all like, now girls, now girls.
All the after-lunch classes were the funniest, 'cause we'd have these Pioneer sweets, which I swear had drugs in them, because we'd start laughing and not stop till it all became a bit too much.
And the rocking chairs. Jeez, everyday someone or the other would topple over in the middle of a class, because they rocked back too much in their chairs. When I was in Upper Infant, I once fell back on Ms. Gujadar's broken leg and she was so mad that she couldn't even speak, and I felt slightly goofy and slightly happy, because she had hit my hand with a wooden ruler once for not being able to write in a straight column. Hehe, she also took away all my erasers and threw out all of my six inch rulers out of the window. So glad, for them rocking chairs.
And library. I liked library. Sitting next to the window that faced the parking lot. Listening to the Friday namaaz and reading thousands of readers' digest magazines. Seth was a madcap. She boozed out of a silver flask and pulled people's pigtails if they read Enid Blytons. She was very senile and very dangerous.
P.T. was a bit of a bummer, especially with Sinha, who was one of those typical power-trip teachers. Y'know - I teach PE, so what, I'm smart also, nevermind that I can't speak English and look like I have a shrapnel up my arse. She made us exercise a lot and also embarrassed us when we had our chums. I mean jeez, in front of all those malis, what a pucca whore she was.

Anyway, I dunno what's all this nostalgia business about. I just felt like rambling I guess. Ta.

6 Comments:

Blogger Vatsala said...

I'm dying to see Seth :P did you girls have PT numbers??

3:02 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Believe me, you wouldn't. Or maybe you would, I dunno. She was a real case study.
PT numbers? Like sequences? Yeah we did. Sometimes, it was fun.
I liked Games classes more though. When we played-played - anything but the damn exercises.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

I hated the drill thing.It was so ridiculous.I still cant figure the purpose of them. I loved marching in high school though, specially when the boys didnt know how to and we used to teach them how :P

PT numbers were those things one had to wear with the batch...yea the sequence thing, n we used to get spanked if we forgot to wear it or got the sequence wrong .. wut trivial things my my!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Chamki said...

hee hee.
I hated school.
No actually it wasnt even important enough to hate. It was simply bland.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Haha, Oh I hated it too - but in spurts. I think there were some good moments....SOMEtimes.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Some very good times :D

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home