Wednesday, January 10, 2007

21 minus 11

Heehee. This is worthy enough to be a Postsecret secret - those who know me, will understand why. Boybands. Ugh, right? Well, maybe not when you were 11, and I'm sure all of you, yes, even you death-metal-whatever-freaks-of-nature lovers must have, at SOME point in your life, been crazy about blonde eyed blue haired men - or something like that. Especially if you were born in the mid-80s and went to a girl's school. I mean, you musssst have. At least I hope you did, because, it was NORMAL to do so. I graduated from Chitrahaar and Superhit Muquabla (which were my favourite shows on TV in the pre-cable days) to "English music", which (discounting the stuff Ma-Baba used to hear - and which I've grown up hearing - the good ol' stuff - Beatles, Elvis oishob - not that - also not Michael Jackson, whom everyone knew) were (and this is an incredibly long sentence, hope you're still with me), the stuff they showed on Channel V (ooh, taboo, sooo taboo). There were 3 shows I watched diligently on Channel V (we didn't get Mtv until 95-96 for some reason) and they were Vibes, hosted by Luke Kenny, Retro (Sophiya Haq) and By Demand (Trey and Muriel - a pink puppet thing). Thus began my "education" in English music, whereforth onwards, I'd officially be a "snob". I would have also begun my career as a rebel, discarding the good-safe stuff my parents listened to, and would embrace reee-heeeally bad music, with reeee-heeally bad lyrics - and know them word for word. So enter Scatman John, Whigfield, Real McCoy and all the shit we liked to call "music" back in the day (also much popularized by farewell parties in school). The attack of the boybands hadn't started yet - and sometimes, if I was lucky, I'd like the good stuff too - like Nirvana, Blind Melon, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, Alanis Morisette, Oasis, Green Day et cetera. THEN, one fine day, I hear this really cool (I was 9-10, and it was cool then, don't judge) song with pretty boys dancing in the rain. Instant love. The band, was Take That, the song - Back for Good. I won't go on about the Take That mania that I unleashed on unsuspecting school friends and family (who were all like, take who?) - but bottomline - it was pure hysteria. I had never worshipped a group like that. They split, (heartbreak!) just as those wussy bands like Boyzone and whatnot were emerging and thus ended my boyband worship saga. But but but. Ten years later, and many many musical experiments later, I see my Brit boys once again, reunited, minus Rob of course, and yay! I cannot believe I am blogging about this, and who in their right mind gives a flying fuck but I just haddddd to write about them. It's like revisting my childhood. It's like having a "crush" on somebody for the first time all over again. It's like being pre-teen and obnoxious and OKAY with it all over again. Yeah, the stuff is still a little cheesy, but wtf, it's TT. EEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Marrrrryyy meee Garrrryyyyy. Haha.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Vatsala said...

lol Whigfield :P haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ROFL I remember...oh yea n aqua n steps n wotnotshit i understand we're talkin pretty boys in the rain here heeh

2:10 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

haah! See? I never liked the Aqua brigade! Bheeeeshon boro snob hoye gechilam by then. But everything pre 96 - every bit of crap imaginable, I heard it all!
And you have to see the video of Back for Good. When you're 10 years old, that kind of thing can screw your hormones forever.

3:18 PM  
Blogger The Absolutist said...

lol! Whigfield... sexy eyes? i remember! was on the radio all the time along with vengaboys and all... loved it!

check radioblog... ;-)

1:50 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Vengaboyzzzzz not sssss. Haha. Ki oshojjho.
I checked - cool cool stuff :D

6:19 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

you guys should try and listen to some of the Take That tracks - from their new album - they are not half as awful as I thought they would be. Infact some of them are downright nice - Keanish, Coldplayish, James Bluntish (don't cringe) and John Meyerish (ok not that nice really).

1:06 AM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

hah . okay , let me admit.I quite like James Blunt 'sometimes' ... yea yea...gimme some of the take that tracks , if you may :)

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home