Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ma and I had a funny conversation today that brought on a lot of memories. She was asking me if I remembered how old I was when she taught English at home to some girls, who were a little older than me. Well of course I did, 'cause I remember everything that happened in the past. I was seven or eight. And well, we were talking about that, and how I'd behave in front of them. Just as soon as she would sit with them, to do some work, I'd pop up with some problem and be like "ami na eii homework ta parchi na" or "Ma, amar khide peyeche" or something like that. I think my brother and I came up with some plan (and I know he'll vehemently deny this) to pretend as if we were adopted children. My brother and I would coop up in his chotto room that was adjacent to the dining room where these girls studied and would talk as loudly as possible - "Haa...Ma amader khetei daye na. Amra adopted na, tai." We were so terribly discouraging and wicked. My brother was paranoid that Ma would teach in St. James when he was still studying there. I used to pretend I didn't know my mother when she taught in my school, unless I needed money to buy something. No, it wasn't all that bad...but it was weird...I used laugh and say "Good Morning Mrs. Gupta". And my friends would be like "Hi Aunty...I mean, Morning Miss". I remember when I first came home from school, and Ma wasn't at home, peeping from behind the door and giving me a peck on the cheek as I entered. I had to make my own lunch and my own coffee. There was no-one I could talk about the day with. I hated it that, she had to work. But it's been a while now. And I'm glad she's working finally. I'm glad she's out of the house, doing what she wants and is somewhere where her inconsiderate, overdemanding children won't tyrannize her all the time. Heh. No. We weren't like that! But you know...I'm just glad that she hasn't given up on her dreams at 50.

8 Comments:

Blogger razor4077 said...

"(and I know he'll vehemently deny this) to pretend as if we were adopted children." - I most certainly will!! The whole adopted child thing was of your making ma'am!
As for Ma working - I'm glad she is, although I don't think we were "inconsiderate, overdemanding children"! We were bratty and selfish like most kids are... but mothers generally overlook that endearing quality in their children :)
Irony is, she is surrounded by inconsiderate, overdemanding children currently at Heritage school, but she can't turn these kids out off the house or shout at them!
But no matter how over-worked she is, she enjoys the experience. And that to me, is a very important thing.

1:44 AM  
Blogger Living On Video said...

Very nice post. :)

3:04 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

It may have been my idea, but you definitely played along.

Trina thank you :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

I have been positively CRUEL to you! Made you bend and tie my shoelaces, pack my bag, run all the way up (3 floors!) to get my water bottle which I left behind and god knows what else :)
Not to forget that famous STD call! hahaha!

6:48 PM  
Blogger mojo said...

boy! i so identify with that,my ma taught english in my school....the only times i ever made eye contact with her at school was when i needed money...

9:06 PM  
Blogger La Figlia Che Piange said...

Welcome to my-mother-doesnt-have-time-for-me.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

aww..no..my mother does have time for me. She's ektu superwoman types. I'm just jealous of all the other children she also has time for. I'm very possessive about my family in general

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home