Sunday, February 26, 2006

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm sleeping all the time. I mean atleast 15 hours a day. And when I'm awake, all I do is think about my next siesta. It's the only way to combat boredom. Ma doesn't get it, when I say I want to get out. She told me "oi toh, shedini gele bondhur barite".
Bondhur Barite is not where I want to go. I just want to take a train, plane, bus, gari, trailer, ship, boat, ANYTHING and GET OUT. Anywhere, but here.
Calcutta grows on you. You learn to live with the eclectic and emotional. You don't particularly like everything that goes on around you, but this is a place you like to miss...a place you like to keep coming back to. We Bangalis are crazy. Especially we, the post-independence, post 70s, aimless Bangalis. When it pleases us, we call the state stagnant, overltly Marxist, a state full of ideologies and nothing more. And again, depending on the weather, and our day at work, we call it consumerist, corrupt, moving towards oposhongshkriti. All over a steaming cuppa tea and telebhaja. I wonder when we'll stop pointing from the stands...with a cycnical smile and disapproving click and nod of the head... I wonder.
I'll be honest. I am an escapist. Very rarely do I debate, argue or interfere. It just pleases me to know that, some people can make a difference... some people have the guts, not just to point, but get down there and DO things. Keep motivating us, 'cause God knows this city of cynical intellectuals needs it. I need it.
But I need to get out now. Really really. "Tomra ki jano. Kokhono line diye ticket ketecho? Shobi toh baba-kakar khatnite beche acho. Tomra ki jano....eii...kichu mone korle na toh?"
Yeah...I need to get away from that for a little while.

8 Comments:

Blogger Random Doodler said...

guess what guess what...i might be allowed....

7:59 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

oh brilliant! We HAVE to talk

8:37 PM  
Blogger erebus said...

sad.. I'm still not allowed :(

9:09 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

What are you saaaaying?

9:40 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

this city of cynical intellectuals... you said it. phrase'ta niye nilam, theek kothao chaliye debo :P

aar tor shonge sympathize kortam, i feel suffocated with mundane life like that sometimes too, but then i'm going to dilli tomorrow, yay! the anti-parent rebellion is successful, comrades.

by the way, chaile next time chole esho. kaal'ker aar ticket pawa jabe na. but daana gojiye'i gechhe jokhon... prolly next month again. prolly somewhere else that time.

11:14 PM  
Blogger The Absolutist said...

i know..."Calcutta grows on you"... but there are surprises hidden everywhere, thats what i like about it. I luv the 'non-mainstream' hustle and bustle, the anti-intellectual, anti wannabe league... Moderately adventurous though i am, i cant imagine living anywhere else, i'll always come back, I just adore my city!! ...sorry, got emotional!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

TBC - Good for you...I'll be looking for an escape route immediately after exams. And no arguments with parents...they'll be more than happy to get rid of me!

Absolutist - getting emotional is a Bong trademark. This is still about the city...if I got started on Sourav...well...you know. Btw, I say for the umpteenth time..an INTELLECTUAL, is a THINKER... or at least the way I see it. I think the "anti-intellectual" brigade is a bit forced, and extremely vague.

12:19 AM  
Blogger razor4077 said...

"sleeping all the time. I mean at least 15 hours a day. And when I'm awake, all I do is think about my next siesta."
lol - u sound like garfield.
as far as cal is concerned, i guess u gotta stay away for some time to really appreciate your feelings for the city. it does grow on you...

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home