Tuesday, April 10, 2007

....Aaaand he's back :)

This is how the T2 article begins -

Bertram Da Silva - far better known as Bertie in St. Xavier's College and beyond - has put Blake on the backburner. He will be teaching poetry of a different kind: Dylan's poetry, and his own. The favourite professor of English is stepping off his dias at the head of the class and is making his much-awaited return to the musical stage, a journey that had started during his own days as a student, 27 years ago, at the same educational institution.

And this is how it ends:

Have you ever been lonely, Motorcar, I don't want to write this song and Moonlight lady are some of the originals that will be heard for the first time by students of this cryptic, sometimes caustic, yet always inspiring teaching.

They wouldn't miss it for the word.

It's a Thursday night comeback at the Princeton Club. And a good way to begin the morning I tell ya.

For more, read T2 (article's by Mohua Das and the picture I found via a random google search, and had a bit of a goldmine moment - for more see Ghoxe's Flickr album - who will probably kill me - because none of this is with his permission. But then there was no copyright, and I feel politically correct but morally insecure - so. )

Oh and this maybe interesting as well, for trivia buffs like me.
And this and this.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo! Very glad to see that this means something to someone of your generation too! Hope to see you there!

Best

rama

4:09 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

You know, all these days, it was just an urban legend - it's so wonderful to know The Man's back on the music scene! It was terrible to see him behind that Dean's desk - crazy - he's a rockstar afterall :)
And I'm a huge huge Dylan and Neil Young fan. IF they let us in, we'll surely be there :)
they were called 'The High' weren't they?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo! Were they called "High" - I don't think so. I know their music from the college festivals circuit. We were all in the same batch. I hope you can get in! Let me know, in advance, if you want my assistance. (My email's on my blog profile.) I connected with JP. He yearned to reconnect with Bertie. I met Bertie and sent his tel no. to JP. Fuzz connected with JP, wishing to connect with Bertie. And now they are all playing together! They were always an implicit trio at SXC. You know Bertie from SXC I assume. This evening I thought, what with CPM's ass being whipped and all, and now this - some good times are a coming to Cal!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

more urban legend and speculation I suppose!
I'll let you know if I need help in getting in - thanks for the offer :)
And yeah, "Bertie"'s my professor haha - I'm usually a little more reverent when I'm adressing him in person.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Random Doodler said...

:-D

10:13 PM  
Blogger Chamki said...

I'm so jealous.
Your prof is soooo cool!

12:15 AM  
Blogger p@tr!(k said...

hey loon! i'm the non-violent sort - don't kill people - just love 'em to death! :D you're welcome to use the photos and spread it around. i'm a 'copyleft' promoter. bertie, mel and fuzz have all played with "high" at different times, but they were never "high" - they were always bertie, mel and fuzz. i should know! i put that show up in 1979 and i'm happily doing it again this time! "high" was the dilip balakrishnan, nondon bagchi and lew hilt band. no problems about entry for BM&F - there are no cover charges or entry fees and the booze and food is quite reasonably priced. btw, the show will be recorded audio/video and will be available for sale at some point i guess.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Oh great!! :D
And thanks for clearing up the trivia! Will definitely be there :)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Rapid I Movement said...

Dylan's weird coz most of his songs' covers are so much more better than the originals. The Guns version of Knockin' on...and all the Baez of course...
Though I've also heard his hardcore fans say that his eerie voice lends more autheticity to the poet in him only:)

6:19 PM  
Blogger Leo M said...

in reply to the comment you left on my blog: do it.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Leo M said...

er yeah, they send me an email with comments. but what you're planning to do sounds fucking awesome. that year changed my life.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Sagar said...

I remember the music of High. I think Dilip Balakrishnan was one of the really great songwriters. Does anyone have any of High's music? Where can I find downloads on the internet?

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home