Monday, May 15, 2006

Sid take a hike

I feel pretty cool. Mainly, because I know that I have options. I can do a lot of things, if I want to do a lot of things. Or not. It's all cool. There was a time when over-ambitious people completely freaked me out. Over-achievers, heck, ACHIEVERS, made me feel stupid and useless. But guess what? Most of those people were doing things that, I never wanted to do in the first place. I don't "get" math and I don't want to be a rocket scientist or whatever. So excuse me if I'm stupid, but it doesn't matter. I can add, subtract, divide and multiply. I'll live. And thank god for calculators.
I like literature. Now I don't know if I want to write a book or do some thesis or teach (no-not-that!) or do something totally different like a film or roadside graffiti or breeding poodles or whatever. The fact remains, I like literature, and the future can wait. I'm like an old computer. I'm slow and whimsical. And career counsellors and insignificant others can scare me all they want. But I'm in no rush.
I've read On the Road. A bible for us loafers and dreamers. And I watch Travel and Living. There's hope. There' s always hope. I'm not going to waste another ten years of my life trying win somebody's approval. It's boring, tiresome and leaves you a wreck.

9 Comments:

Blogger Random Doodler said...

good! great! the point is in being pointless!!
U go girl!!

12:12 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

ahh... can totally relate to this. doesn't the air you're breathing suddenly start feeling a whole lot lighter when you finally realize this? or achieve this realization, rather? for it is a no mean achievement. many, in fact most people drag their deflated buttocks through life accomplishing a lot and never being satisfied. poor sods. i pity them. i'm a happy child.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Well, it's no mean achievement to get into an ivy league or performing at Carnegie hall or whatever either. I'm sure there's bound to be some amount of satisfaction there. I feel good for them. But I'm just saying, that's them. I'm me. I'll do whatever I am good at. And believe me, that's not an excuse for slacking off. There is no satisfaction in mediocrity. I just love the space I can afford to give myself. And I don't feel miserable because I'm not good at certain things. This post really doesn't diss over-achievers. That would just be bitter then.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Loony Libberswick of Llapland said...

Sudu, it's not about being pointless. It's just about giving yourself a break sometimes.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

nana, you misunderstand. i'm not dissing overachievers either. i'm just being mean to them. there's a difference, dissing is sad, being mean is fun. i'm happy and mean child.

and talking about overachieving, i know a bit about that, i've often exceeded my expectations in different things (not that i had very high expectations and not that i achieved something great - but i had exceeded my expectations by far, so the feeling is similar, right?). it gives you a hugely overwhelming feeling, but that feeling's impossibly short-lived. even before you can stop feeling dizzy and get your feet back on the ground, the emptiness in the stomach returns. it's not worth it, really. i'm happier for what i am now. and i know that i'm happier than those overachieving freaks. and there's no bitterness in this.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

"..But I'm in no rush.
I've read On the Road. A bible for us loafers and dreamers. And I watch Travel and Living. There's hope." .....I swear..

5:28 PM  
Blogger Vatsala said...

"There is no satisfaction in mediocrity..."....Mediocrity stinks,but i guess each one of us have our own shares of it....

5:31 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

lol... totally out of topic but kerouac had got disillusioned with the "on the road" lifestyle pretty fast, by the way... even before the book hit the stores...

haven't read the book though. lend it to me in july?

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Madison wisconsin phone 902 http://www.rhinoplasty-price.info/Low-cholesterol-symptons.html 1965 dodge coronet 500 Vehicle rental dubai Hamilton beach 5521 humidifier

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home